Tuesday, March 9, 2010

On Knowing the Author

As I have mentioned before, I receive a daily meditation from a pastor friend of mine named Larry Lilly. Pastor Lilly recently wrote an article entitled “Catcher in the Rye and Speaking with THE Author.” In the article he cited the following words of Holden Caulfield, one of the characters in J.D. Salinger’s book, Catcher in the Rye:

"What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it."

Pastor Lilly then went on to write: “It is not unusual for avid readers to have a desire to speak with authors whose work they have read.” I can certainly attest to that. I enjoy reading novels in German. My favourite German author is Heinz Konsalik. I freely admit that more than once I have dreamed of meeting Mr. Konsalik, engaging him in conversation, and even becoming his friend. Mr. Konsalik is deceased now. So I have missed that opportunity, not that is was ever very likely.

Thinking of this I was reminded of something a lady said that used to attend a church, where my mother was a member. This lady was reading her Bible in a waiting room. Seeing this, someone made a comment to her to the effect that the Bible was difficult to understand. Here was the lady’s response to that comment: “It helps to know the Author.” What a profound statement!

As Bible readers and believers, we have the privilege of knowing the Author as a personal Friend and talking to Him on a regular basis in prayer. When we read the Bible, we should read it as being in the personal presence of the Author and we should receive its teaching as being for us.

Romans 15:4  For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

In the Bible, God is teaching us. If there is something in the Scriptures that we don’t understand, we have but to ask Him or “call him up,” as Holden Caulfield put it. God is one Friend we have that really knows how to listen. If we ask and wait expecting the answer, He will give us the understanding we need in due time as the following passages lead us to expect.

Psalms 119:73  Thy hands have made me and fashioned me: give me understanding, that I may learn thy commandments.

Psalms 119:125  I am thy servant; give me understanding, that I may know thy testimonies.

Psalms 119:169  Let my cry come near before thee, O LORD: give me understanding according to thy word.

Proverbs 2:6  For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

James 1:5  If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

One of the most exciting things I experience in my life as a Christian is reading a passage I have read many times and seeing something I have never seen before. It is then that God is giving me the understanding that I seek. At such a time I am personally interfacing with the Author, Who just happens to be my very best Friend. Oh, the blessing of knowing the Author!

1 comment:

goaliegurl said...

What a powerful thought! As an avid reader, I too have from time to time wished I could meet with a favorite author and ask questions and discuss why they said certain things, or what it meant. In fact, I just recently finished a book like that. How incredible that we can and do know the Author of the greatest book ever written! And, while I'm certain I've heard that truth before, I realize I haven't fully grasped the enormity of what it means. You've given me much to think on.